The Service Desk Engineer is responsible for onsite service and support needs for our customers. This relates to all technology, including workstations, servers, printers, networks, and vendor specific hardware and software. Service desk engineers can take advantage of this trend by becoming familiar with the latest technology and how to use it effectively. They can also learn how to use technology to communicate with customers in new ways, such as through social media or chatbots. Demand for these workers will increase as organizations continue to outsource IT services and support to reduce costs. Service desk engineers will be needed to provide support for the vendors providing these services.
- He or she will be responsible for logging and tracking customer issues, as well as escalating tickets to level 2 support when necessary.
- Now, we’ll look at senior infrastructure engineers, who generally average a higher pay when compared to help desk engineers annual salary.
- However, help desk engineers can earn anywhere from upwards of $36,000 to $74,000 a year.
- This type of job is prevalent in most businesses that support technology.
Collaboration enables them to deliver value and should not be overlooked. Answering phone calls and creating work ticket for my fellow engineers, using Connect wise ticketing system, also troubleshooting issues that the end users are having. Responsible for providing technical assistance and support related to computer systems, hardware, or software. Responds to queries, runs diagnostic programs, isolates problem, and determines and implements solution. Provides technical support to users by researching and answering questions, troubleshooting problems, and maintaining workstation and LAN performance. ITIL 4 defines the Service Desk as an entry and single point of contact for all users, where demand for incident resolution and service requests are received by the service provider. And while self-service portals and AI powered chatbots are all the rage in handling user issues nowadays, there is still room for the human touch—particularly where empathy is required and complexity is encountered.
What is IT Help Desk, Job Description, Certifications and Salary?
They monitor the performance of the company’s desktop infrastructure. A help desk engineer annual salary averages $52,444, which breaks down to $25.21 an hour. However, help desk engineers can earn anywhere from upwards of $36,000 to $74,000 a year. This means that the top-earning help desk engineers make $66,000 more than the lowest-earning ones. One of the most important traits of an excellent help desk technician is the willingness to learn. Humility and the capacity to accept constructive criticism from peers are required for a readiness to learn.
As a help desk technician, you are responsible for responding to email, chat, or phone queries and offering technical support to customers using computer systems, hardware, and software. A Help desk technician provides technical support and assistance, whether on the phone, in person, or remotely, related to computer systems, hardware, and software. A help desk technician responds to customer queries to provide technical assistance. Once you’ve become a help desk engineer, you may be curious about what other opportunities are out there. For that reason, we discovered some other jobs that you may find appealing.
Service desk support from BMC
Many businesses are continuing to expand their operations and need to invest in technology in order to support this growth. The IT help desk job market is expected to continue to be on the rise in the coming years. Technical Support, 11%Provided in-person and remote technical support to over 50,000 military and civilian customers. Perhaps the hardest question to answer when deciding on a career as a help desk engineer is „should I become a help desk engineer?“ You might find this info to be helpful. When compared to other jobs, help desk engineer careers are projected to have a growth rate described as „faster than average“ at 10% from 2018 through 2028. What’s more, is that the projected number of opportunities that are predicted to become available for a help desk engineer by 2028 is 83,100. It entails making the most of your time in order to provide the greatest value to your end consumers.
At least 3 year of working experience in the related field is required for this position. Improves system performance by identifying problems and recommending changes. Provides answers to clients by identifying problems, researching answers, and guiding clients through corrective steps. Discover the help desk engineer impact intelligent automation can have on creating and deploying innovative services. Provides leadership to deliver the service culture required to deliver required organizational outcomes. Provides first line investigation and diagnosis and promptly allocates unresolved issues as appropriate.
Help Desk Support Skills
• IPsoft is a global autonomic services provider, delivering Managed Services, Platform-as-a-Service, Automation-as-a-Service and Autonomic Cloud Orchestration. Performing remote response and resolution of server, virtualisation and systems issues. Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and maintaining personal networks. This help desk job description sample can assist in creating a job application that will attract candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific duties and requirements. And if you’d like some additional ideas about what to include, browse our help desk job listings.
- As you gain experience and prove your worth, you will be given more responsibility and may eventually be promoted to a management position.
- But if you’re interested in companies where you might earn a high salary, help desk engineers tend to earn the biggest salaries at Bain & Company, Booz Allen Hamilton, and Cognizant.
- In fact, one out of every six help desk engineers did not spend the extra money to attend college.
- In general, senior infrastructure engineers reach similar levels of education when compared to help desk engineers resumes.
- On average, the desktop support specialists annual salary is $7,482 lower than what help desk engineers make on average every year.
A senior infrastructure engineer specializes in designing and developing systems and infrastructures based on client preferences and industry standards. Additionally, a senior infrastructure engineer has the authority to make decisions, train and supervise junior engineers, establish goals and timelines, provide technical support, and implement policies and guidelines.
Service Desk ENGINEER
A service desk engineer may handle a company’s password authorization controls. A service desk engineer job description typically includes both technical and communication skills.
- The role of a Service Desk Engineer is one that requires constant attention to detail.
- They can also work to create a positive image for their company by providing excellent customer service to all customers, not just those who are unhappy.
- The employment of service desk engineers is expected to grow much faster than average over the next decade.
- This training may include learning the company’s ticketing system, troubleshooting software and other processes.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics correlates these salaries, indicating a mean annual wage of $55,050.